Tuesday 2 June 2015

Plastic Free Month Challenge

Some people fear zombies, A.I. or badgers taking over the world.
Well, be afraid, something already has taken over the world.

It's in your house.
It's in the shops you go into.
It's on your food.
It's in your food.
It's everywhere.

"WHAT KIND OF HELL IS THIS UNKNOWN FOE?!"
You may well ask...



PLASTIC.

Yes, you read it right; plastic. The more you think about plastic, and especially if you try to avoid it as I am doing this month, the more you will come to realise how obsessed our developed world is with it. It really has completely taken over our lives and, considering its lifespan (which is basically forever as it only into smaller pieces and never breaks down completely), it will effect the lives of every future generation too.

I've been proactive about making choices that reduce my contribution to plastic use for some time now but, as aforementioned, this month I am going to try and cut it out all together.

Now, I have a job which relies upon me using my car, phones, computers etc. so I cannot rid myself of plastic completely, but those aren't the non-recyclable and often single use items of plastic that are the problem I am seeking to address.


It's the completely unnecessary things for which plastic free more environmentally friendly options exist and / or the things most commonly found as litter that bother me most.

It costs £1 billion in the UK to deal with litter every year (Source: Keep Britain Tidy ) most of which is likely to be plastic. However, putting things in the bin isn't enough; we need to tackle this problem at its source.

I'll be sharing some information about how you and I can reduce the plastic in our lives and, in doing so, reduce the burden of waste plastic for the lives of future generations, the lives of wildlife and the well being of the whole planet.




Why not join in yourself? Share your ideas with me about reducing our dependency upon plastic!